Thursday, March 10, 2011

You Stole My Car?! Who does that?? Welcome to Sandy....

Have I ever mentioned that I HATE wasting my time? It seriously is one of my biggest pet peeves.  Well, today I trying to be super efficient by getting my safety and emissions test done so I could go in this Saturday today get my car registered.  Well....did I mention that my car got stolen today?!  Talk about waste of an afternoon!!!

When I went in to get my safety check they told me I failed because my emergency break was broken.  I proceeded to ask them where I should go to get it fixed.  They told me to go across the street to Firestone (by the way.....NEVER go to Firestone). I took their advice, thinking that I was again being SO efficient to get this all done at once.  Oh yes, and did I mention that I had both kids with me at the time.  Okay, so I parked the car right outside of the bay, waiting for it be serviced.  I left the keys in car, which don't you always do when you're going to have your car worked on.  I got both kids out of the car (Thank Goodness!) and went inside to get helped.  There were two men in front of me, who looked like they were about to leave. Within in a few minutes the two men had left and I had moved to the front of the line.  I turned around for a second and looked out the window and saw someone getting into my car.  My first thought was, "WOW they are super fast here," then I soon realized that wait, that man is not going to fix my car....NO, he is DRIVING OFF with my car!!! Seriously, is this really happening to me!  I really felt like I was on CSI of NCIS or something! Well, on second thought, I guess a stolen car would make a really boring TV episode, but it's NOT boring when it's YOUR car they are stealing!

I proceeded to call the police, they showed up and I filled them in on all the details. Well, to make an already too long story short, the police found my car two hours later in American Fork.  However, the story gets better (or worse for some).  They found my car parked in the garage of a family in American Fork.  Apparently, this man had somehow opened their garage door, parked my car in their garage, and then drove off with their Jeep.  Oh yeah and I did I tell you that as he was driving off with the Jeep, he ran into this families' other car that was parked into the drive way!  Seriously, this guy must be on something because why would you open the garage and steal the car in their when there is another car in the driveway that you could steal!

Well, anyway, props to the Sandy and American Fork Police officers for finding our car so quickly.  They stole pretty much everything in our car, including our two car seats and my Phil & Ted stroller :(  but it really could have been so much worse.  I am so grateful that things turned out the way they did and that my family is safe.  It was definitely a learning experience for me and I hope that I will be much more vigilant in the future.

10 comments:

  1. This sounds surreal. I'm so glad your children were with you. I would have done the same thing thinking I was being efficient, and you were. You just can't predict what life will throw at you.

    Are you enjoying being with your family?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh. That's crazy! Totally annoying but crazy. I always get nervous when I take my car somewhere because you totally just leave your car with a total stranger and they have the keys. Was your car running? How did the thief know your keys were in there? And how funny that he backed into the next victims other car with their jeep! I'm happy it all worked out in the end but I'm sorry about your car seats and strollers - not cheap to replace.

    Welcome back to Utah though :) Are you staying at your parents right now or are you living in Sandy permanently? We should get together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What the HECK!!! How can that happen?? How can you move from here and then you get to Sandy and have that happen to you!!!! How can those people actually drive off with a car that had 2 car seats in it? What horrible people? I feel bad for the other poeple but I am so glad you got you car back, though why they took the other baby items I don't know! I hope that everything else going better then that and that you are settling in with your family! Miss you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes. I am glad you are your kids are okay. These kind of stories always sound so crazy and then it happens to someone you know and really brings it home that there are crazy people in this world. I am so glad they found your car. Having your stuff stolen is never fun. Someone broke into my car while I was at the gym and they stole our Scriptures (seriously?) and air mattress. I know that this is nothing compared to your story but I just think it is silly that they would steal even those. People are so ridiculous sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I am so sorry. How creepy. I hope they catch the guy. Maybe your stroller and car seats will show up on Craigslist.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is seriously crazy! Welcome back to Utah. Once you live out of state and come back you realized how many crazies live in Utah. I can't believe they found your car so quickly and they actually stole your car seats and stroller. I am sorry, those things are so expensive and when you have to buy all three at once too! Please tell me you cried at least a little bit but laughed too! I was actually thinking this morning how we should get together this week but could only remember the 1st part of your email address. I'll FB ya and we can figure out when to get together, I'll come over to your house this time so you don't have to go anywhere in this crazy town :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. aw man I was so excited to see an update from you, but what sad news! I'm glad you got your car back of course and that everyone was safe, but...still not fun! i really can't believe people steal carseats, or cars with carseats in them for that matter!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, what a crazy day!!! I'm so sorry that you have to go through this. It must have wiped you out. Wow, people just stole your car right before your eyes? In UTAH? He must be on drugs!!! Glad you got your car back. I can't believe they stole car-seats and stroller, who does that? It's so mean; those are for the children....Just check craigslist, you'll probably find him posting them for sale, and then bring a police or a scary person with you, and ask him to give them back or else!!! Life is so crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holy Cow! That is crazy! I am so grateful that the kids weren't in the car. How scary I probably would have done the same thing too. However...I am SUPER excited that you are back in Utah!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! What a story! I had my car broken into the other day and all they took was Michael's 10.00 sunglasses. Weird.

    ReplyDelete